Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about poly skin units
08-16-2008, 06:48 AM,
Question about poly skin units
Is the hair really natural looking if you have poly on top? I plan on having a part in the center of my unit and want it to be undetectable. I currently have a lace unit with poly on the sides and the hair injected into the poly doesn't really look quiet natural the way it is inserted into the poly. Can any poly wearers enlighten me?

The reason I am asking is because I currently still have some hair growing on top that is very thin, but very dark. So after a few days my natural hair is showing under the lace and making the lace really stand out. I was hoping to that switching to poly might solve that problem for me.
08-22-2008, 02:53 AM,
Re: Question about poly skin units
Injected thinskin can have a realistic scalp look, I and others have gotten systems made with a thinskin section in the part and crown. But the most realistic scalp look that I have seen is the I-lace, it is uncanny. Not only does it look exactly like hair growing from the scalp, it moves more naturally...a part will look "clean" if that makes any sense, with lace you tend to get hairs going in different directions.
08-22-2008, 10:19 AM,
Again WESB speaks the truth. Skin looks natural but is hard to style - the way the hair is injected into the skin is the way it will stay forever.

I use an I-lace island meaning I-lace all over with a one inch SFS perimeter all the way around. I don't recommend two different bases in one unit for people with TL densities 60% and under. ALL I -lace on the entire piece is thick and is prone to ripple. JMHO
08-22-2008, 03:30 PM,
"Again WESB speaks the truth. Skin looks natural but is hard to style - the way the hair is injected into the skin is the way it will stay forever."

I have to disagree with you on this one Reubin, my displaced NY friend. I do have that kind of experience with PSB perimeters but not when I order a thinskin piece. On the one thinskin piece that I have, I can comb the hair in any direction. The hair is supposedly injected (at least that's what I requested), although I can't say for sure. Again, on a PSB perimeter, the hair does indeed seem to be very fixed in its styling options.
08-23-2008, 03:57 AM,
dino Wrote:"Again WESB speaks the truth. Skin looks natural but is hard to style - the way the hair is injected into the skin is the way it will stay forever."

I have to disagree with you on this one Reubin, my displaced NY friend. I do have that kind of experience with PSB perimeters but not when I order a thinskin piece. On the one thinskin piece that I have, I can comb the hair in any direction. The hair is supposedly injected (at least that's what I requested), although I can't say for sure. Again, on a PSB perimeter, the hair does indeed seem to be very fixed in its styling options.

The quote button makes for easier quoting ;-) I'm curious about difference in the thicker-thinskin...lol, there have been so many versions it's hard to keep track. Back before PSB, there was a "new design" thinskin that was a thicker material, and had lace embedded in the front. This I think was the type that iZZy used, and perhaps still uses. She has commented on how naturally the hair styles, could part it anywhere etc. I think that perhaps the hairs can be injected in the thicker material so that they point straight up, where in the thinner materials they lay tend to lay down more.
08-23-2008, 06:16 AM,
I am not sure, so dont quote me, but I remember BA saying that he can have the knots bleached on skin units. If this is the case, i rather get knots. Unless he means the U-looping, but i doubt it. No need to bleach those I do not think.
08-25-2008, 10:57 AM,
Thanks guys for the help. You have given me a lot to think about. I am thinking of trying out the i-lace. With the i-lace, does your actual scalp show through at all? I want to disguise my scalp so I don't have to worry about the color of my natural hair showing through after a week or so. Having some of my own hair still growing on top is a real pain. I am actually a bit jealous of you guys who are completely smooth on top. :lol:
08-26-2008, 02:58 AM,
lorilynn Wrote:With the i-lace, does your actual scalp show through at all? I want to disguise my scalp so I don't have to worry about the color of my natural hair showing through after a week or so.

Nope, it hides what's underneath. It is thicker than regular lace, but is breathable unlike poly.
08-26-2008, 11:06 AM,
That sounds just like what I am looking for. Smile Thank you so much for your help. Now I need to study up on i-lace to see how I want my full cap base set up.
08-27-2008, 06:30 AM,
lorilynn Wrote:That sounds just like what I am looking for. Smile Thank you so much for your help. Now I need to study up on i-lace to see how I want my full cap base set up.

The I-lace that I have is in a full cap. It extends from just below the crown to about 1/2" from the front which is SFS lace. The sides and back are #64, with poly perimeter. This was a stock/spare system that I got just to experiment with, if I were ordering a custom full cap I'd probably take jrob's advice and just get #64 lace instead of poly or thinskin perimeter, to allow for easier trimming & fitting. I think that a full cap with I-lace "island" could be used by folks who want to keep their existing hair, at least for guys who can cut their growing hair short and attach on top of it. That's what I plan to try.