Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a indicator for choosing full cap?
12-11-2008, 11:38 AM,
What is a indicator for choosing full cap?
For what reason does one choose to go for full cap?

I suppose full cap is choosen when having very thin sides or no sides. But how do you know your sides are too thin?

I'm going for a piece for only the top but I do know my sides are thinner then when I was not balding but I dont think they are too thin. But if they would get more thinner, would a conversion from top piece to full cap not be too hard to pull off?

With kind regards,
Pete :geek:
12-11-2008, 11:54 AM,
Re: What is a indicator for choosing full cap?
my opinion would be to get a full cap if you have no sides or if you have thin sides and just want thicker hair on top. if you have thinner sides, then in order to do a topper you will need to match the density of the topper to your sides.
12-11-2008, 01:39 PM,
eupe124 Wrote:For what reason does one choose to go for full cap?

I suppose full cap is choosen when having very thin sides or no sides. But how do you know your sides are too thin?

I'm going for a piece for only the top but I do know my sides are thinner then when I was not balding but I dont think they are too thin. But if they would get more thinner, would a conversion from top piece to full cap not be too hard to pull off?

The two biggest factors are the density of the sides and nape and the amount of recession in the temple point areas.

I have seen lots of guys that have enough density on the sides, but the temple points have receded giving the "wide forehead" look. Not something that the general public will usually pick up on, but it's a dead giveaway to someone with a trained eye.

I say unless your sides and temples are in bad shape, start with a topper and see how it works out for you. Just don't hesitate to transition to a full cap if the trials and tribulations of a topper become too much for you, like they did for me.
12-11-2008, 03:01 PM,
Even if your temple points have receded back you can still do a topper. You will need to make a template so that it matches the temple points. Obviously you can't do a Brad Pitt hairline but you can certainly have a receded hairline that blends into your hair at the temple points. With this style nobody will suspect you are wearing. But like JRob said and I believe is one of the dead giveaways is having too much of a straight hairline and having the wide forehead look. Again, it depends on what look you are after. I believe that Fred shows a good example of going with less density, a little more recession and a nice job blending it into his temple points. Like I said, make a template and where your hair stops, draw a natural looking hairline.
12-12-2008, 04:45 AM,
Rod Wrote:Even if your temple points have receded back you can still do a topper. You will need to make a template so that it matches the temple points. Obviously you can't do a Brad Pitt hairline but you can certainly have a receded hairline that blends into your hair at the temple points. With this style nobody will suspect you are wearing. But like JRob said and I believe is one of the dead giveaways is having too much of a straight hairline and having the wide forehead look. Again, it depends on what look you are after. I believe that Fred shows a good example of going with less density, a little more recession and a nice job blending it into his temple points. Like I said, make a template and where your hair stops, draw a natural looking hairline.

The big problem with trying to match up a hairline with recessed temples is that you start looking bald.

It's one thing to have a fairly full hairline with a lower density, it's another thing when you have to start to bring the actual hairline BACK. And that's what you have to do when the forehead widens, so what you end up with is a larger area with no hair.

Now it's just like with shaving your head. Some guys look good with a shaved head, some guys don't. Some guys might look good with a higher forehead, some might not.

Personally, I look a lot better with a lower hairline or shaved completely. When the hairline starts going up I look goofy.
12-12-2008, 04:58 AM,
Rod Wrote:Even if your temple points have receded back you can still do a topper. You will need to make a template so that it matches the temple points. Obviously you can't do a Brad Pitt hairline but you can certainly have a receded hairline that blends into your hair at the temple points.

This is a myth! I'm using a Topper, have a Brad Pitt hairline (it's quite low and thick), and I have no temple points at all - they have receded really badly! I don't even have temple flaps on my topper.

But I use a special technique that allows me to create the illusion of temple points - so I don't have ANY wide forehead syndrome.

Search for my older posts with photos and you will see the trick...

Quote:I have seen lots of guys that have enough density on the sides, but the temple points have receded giving the "wide forehead" look.

This does not need to be the case. I don't have any worries or problems with my hair system. I was thinking of going with flaps at some point, but for now my hair stays looking how it should, and no WFS!
12-12-2008, 05:00 AM,
Here is me in action at a gig - low thick hairline and I don't have any temple points left... honestly.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwebAffPTo&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwebAff ... re=related</a><!-- m -->
12-12-2008, 05:27 AM,
Mr. Burns-

You are correct in that you can cheat it with the cut, but keep in mind that a lot of guys don't want longer hair. I know your hair isn't LONG, but it's longer than a lot of guys would be comfortable with.

The thing that struck me about that video is that NO WAY NO HOW would you look right up on that stage without your TL on your head. Amazing what a little hair can do, eh?
12-12-2008, 05:34 AM,
Yup, you are right Rob! And I'm 4 years older than the other oldest member of the band so... would look like 40 years old without hair haha...

But the hair isn't really long, it's a short spikey style, like Brad Pitt.
12-12-2008, 06:13 AM,
Quote: I have seen lots of guys that have enough density on the sides, but the temple points have receded giving the "wide forehead" look.

This does not need to be the case. I don't have any worries or problems with my hair system. I was thinking of going with flaps at some point, but for now my hair stays looking how it should, and no WFS!

Yeah, I agree Burns that you can cheat it and I even do it. It all comes down to trying different styles, playing around and figuring out what look you like the best. It depends on age too. If you are 50, then you need to add a little recession but if you are 30 then yes, cheat but don't have too short of a hair cut that will expose the temple area. Thats all I was saying. Not everyone gets away with a wig, we all can spot them and i have spotted the ones with the wide forehead.