Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE acid test...Holiday photos!
12-20-2008, 03:54 AM,
Re: THE acid test...Holiday photos!
Jonesy123 Wrote:
Quote:Jonesy,

Where are you located ?
Maybe one of the experienced weares on here lives close enough and would be willing to come give you a hand when you get your first piece.
You can do it man. Hey, if I can do it, anybody can!

Thanks but I'm from a small country outside of the USA. No chance anyone is from there.

That's too bad, cause in your situation I was going to recommend that you fly over to see Debbie for a day. I've seen her transform more than one bundle of nerves into a beaming work of art.....
12-20-2008, 06:22 AM,
Thank you very much Burns Smile
12-20-2008, 08:39 AM,
Right on Mr Burns !
And you're right JRob, a visit with Debbie is a good investment for a beginner. Maybe even coming from another country if the airfare isn't TOO outrageous.

Jonesy, I know I sound like a broken record but seriously if I can do this ANYONE can!
Just jump in and don't look back man ! We're here for ya !
12-20-2008, 09:05 AM,
klifford Wrote:Right on Mr Burns !
And you're right JRob, a visit with Debbie is a good investment for a beginner. Maybe even coming from another country if the airfare isn't TOO outrageous.

Jonesy, I know I sound like a broken record but seriously if I can do this ANYONE can!
Just jump in and don't look back man ! We're here for ya !

A lot of this stuff is so simple, but it's nerve racking for someone in the beginning.

Honestly, I could have SAVED money by flying in to see Debbie with my first two units. I ruined two of them. Could have had a plane ticket, one night's hotel, and a cut-in from a pro for a few dollars more. It actually took me traveling to the Vegas convention to get Debbie to work her magic to get it even halfway right.

And I agree about jumping in and not looking back. As long as your sides are thick enough to pull off a topper, get two units ordered and make sure they fit your color and density, find someone to do your first cut-ins if possible, and do it. You will find that you become very resourceful very quickly when you come across a problem in this game.
12-20-2008, 11:31 AM,
One of the key reasons I went full cap was I'd have enough of grey hairs and the time and mess involved in dying them every six weeks. The two most noticeable things that make men look older than they are: (1) premature baldness; (2) premature grey hair. I was unlucky to be afflicted by both. Full cap solved the lot in one hit.
12-20-2008, 05:16 PM,
I dont wear a wig yet but I usually cut my own hair with clippers, if I get a full cap would I be able to cut my own hair or are there different techniques you need to master?
12-23-2008, 09:32 AM,
baldingsucks Wrote:I dont wear a wig yet but I usually cut my own hair with clippers, if I get a full cap would I be able to cut my own hair or are there different techniques you need to master?

Just get MBs video. It shows you how to cut your system using a Robocut. It's super easy, especially for you who has experience.

I haven't been to a hair stylist or barber in 3.5 years!
12-24-2008, 04:13 AM,
Mr Burns,

I noticed you said you do the magazine slide on your head. Does the ink come off the paper on your head ? Have you ever tried the microfiber towels ? You can get a pack of them at the dollar stores pretty cheap. I started using them a while back and they do a great job of cleaning off the scalp ! Then just throw them in the washer with your other towels, wash cloths, etc.
12-24-2008, 05:58 AM,
I use a glossy magazine cover, so the ink has a film of plastic preventing it bleeding onto the scalp.

I must try the microfibers. I wonder can they be found in this pat of the world... perhaps they are the same as J-Cloths? BA?
12-25-2008, 04:51 AM,
Jonesy123 Wrote:
Quote:For some reason people are getting the idea that color matching the piece to your own hair is difficult. In most cases, it's not at all. You send a hair color sample for the match areas and possibly specify an extra uniform highlight color for the top and that's it. You have to stay on top of things to maintain the piece color one way or another over time, but it isn't that big of a deal.

Well, at least scientifically speaking, this is a close to an impossible task. Toplace has what, 10 colors to choose from ?, but there are **infinite** number of shades in the real world, the chances that one of Toplace's 10 colors will exactly match your hair color might be greater than winning a first place in the lottery. And even if you "won the lottery", after several weeks the color of the wig will start to get weaker, and again you won't be able to get a perfect match. It seems like you can not win here, you can only hope that people around you aren't too perceptive...

Also, look at how many tricks and compromises Mr.Burns is using to get a better color blend (even though he say the color match is good): He keeps his white hairs (and ideally no one will want to do this because it only adds years to your age), he is combing the wig way down to the sides (which is kind of impossible if you want a shorter cut)... yes, the end product looks very real on his head, but there is a cost.

I have to say that in all the pictures that I saw in this forum (and I'm talking about good pics, that are big and were shot in good light), I never saw a perfect color match if there were no white hairs and if the top wasn't combed down heavily to the sides.

I think the only way you can get a perfect color match is if you order a blond wig, and color it together with your natural hair using the same dye. And even this won't be simple, because your own hair might take the color a bit differently than the wig's hair. And also, even if you were successful in dying both to the exact same shade, they still might be losing the color at different rates, hence you'll need to recolor quite soon...

Pretty depressing I might say.

I have posted this many times but obviously some havent read it so I will post it again,

Get the colour that matches your hair colour your hair and about 1" of hair of the hairpiece were the two meet, And you WILL
have a great colour match, To get that colour match just cut a piece of hair from the hairpiece and leave the colour on 5 Minutes,10 minutes and see what matches your own hair, This will give you the time you need to leave the colour on the hairpiece hair, Here is are side photos of one I done, [Image: side2aww7.jpg]

And here is a factory matched one that also matches
[Image: sidepynkb3.jpg]

I know you are looking at them through a PC Monitor but it still gives a good idea that colour is not that big of a issue as it can be matched.

If you cannot do this go full cap, Problem Solved.