Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fraying Solved
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM,
Fraying Solved
I've been a TopLace customer for years and I too have experienced problems with fraying these last couple of years... I never had fraying problems in the early TopLace years so I thought maybe it was the material used by the new factory... Well, I discovered something interesting... I was cleaning my office and I found a product I used to use on all my lace pieces. It's called TDi Knot & Tape Tab Sealer. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hairdirect.com/store/Tdi-Knot-Tape-Tab-Sealer-4Oz.aspx">http://www.hairdirect.com/store/Tdi-Kno ... r-4Oz.aspx</a><!-- m --> I decided to use it on a piece I was having serious fraying issues with and it solved the problem... I sprayed the underside and used a blow dryer to dry it. The next day I trimmed the frayed edges and washed and styled the unit. (No more fraying)

Back when I first started wearing lace pieces I used this stuff and I never had a problem with fraying, but then Debbie stopped selling it and I never searched for a new supplier. I thought it was just good for sealing knots. I had no idea this stuff was good for preventing fraying. Smile
01-09-2009, 02:01 AM,
Re: Fraying Solved
Great tip!!! Thanks so much for your post - I will definitely try this stuff out Smile

Btw, I directly compared an SFS lace front purchased in 2007 with one purchased in 2008 over the period of 3 months. The one from 2007 looked like new after the three months and hadn't frayed at all. The 2008 system had frayed a lot more after just 1 month, and after 3 months it was very frayed. I don't think I treated the systems any differently... but the lace looked slightly different so perhaps it was a different type of SFS. Both were equally undetectable.
01-09-2009, 05:23 AM,
Something else I've notice is over bleaching knots weakens lace and that causes fraying too... Every piece I've ever received with perfectly bleached knots were always very fragile... I just wish I would have found my TDi Knot & Tape Tab Sealer sooner. Smile
01-09-2009, 06:56 AM,
yes, knot sealing definitely helps with fraying. I do not sell the TDI tape tab and knot sealer anymore because it smells like acetone, is extremely flammable and cannot be shipped by air. therefore I switched to the new non toxic knot sealer that works just as well and can be shipped anywhere, it not only seals knots but stops fraying. I find it is much safer to have something totally non toxic lay against the skin than an acetone based product.
I did like the results of the TDI product, just not the chemicals.
DebbieS.
01-09-2009, 07:33 AM,
Fraying was solved a long time ago with Debbie's knot sealer.
I posted long time ago about this and swear by Debbie's sealer even made a video on how to apply correctly.

My current all swiss is 7 months old without the least bit of draw and looks like a new piece.

Must not have seen my many posts.
01-09-2009, 07:35 AM,
...and I have not had hardly any shed whatsoever.
01-09-2009, 11:28 AM,
I'm not sure that I understand at all the problem that so many seem to have with fraying and shedding.
This last, SFS, unit that I just switched out of (and the only reason I changed out of it is I'm wearing my hair longer now), I wore for 10+ months with NO fraying and NO shedding.
I also have very, very little color fading or color change (1B with 30% synthetic gray).

There are things that I don't do and do that others here do differently, for sure Wink

Smile
Fred