Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tapes
01-28-2009, 11:03 AM,
Tapes
Are all tapes sensitive to skin, or are some better than others to prevent irritation?
What's the longest a piece should be worn with tape as the hold- 3, 4 days?

When they say an average unit lasts only 3-4 months, what is the first thing to deteriorate on the unit, considering it has been well taken care off throughout it's usage?

Thanks for your time!

Dan
01-28-2009, 11:53 AM,
Re: Tapes
DanTheMan Wrote:Are all tapes sensitive to skin, or are some better than others to prevent irritation?
What's the longest a piece should be worn with tape as the hold- 3, 4 days?

When they say an average unit lasts only 3-4 months, what is the first thing to deteriorate on the unit, considering it has been well taken care off throughout it's usage?

Thanks for your time!

Dan

Seems that almost everyone's skin is different, so you'll have to try several tapes and see which one(s) work for you.
Regarding hold time, that seems to vary also.
I use the NRT and easily get 7 days out of it.
I remove the unit and clean my head every 7 days so I don't need a longer hold time.
That being said, at the end of the 7 days, the NRT is still very tightly attached and I have pretty oily skin.
I use BaseBond in the front, NRT on the sides and back.

Regarding unit life, many people report shedding and lace fraying.
I normally get a good 10 months or more out of a unit (french and SFS both) with no shedding, no fraying of any significance and hardly any color fading (1B or 2 color).
A lot seems to have to do with how often you wash it (with a shampoo. I rarely do, other than the initial wash), how much conditioner you use, what you sleep on (satin pillow cases in my case), etc.

Smile
Fred
01-30-2009, 01:26 PM,
Thanks for the reply.
What about NRT at the front? Not a good idea? And what about shine through, as someone else on the board recently mentioned? Do all tapes have a degree of this, or are some less shiny than others?

Thanks.

Dan
01-30-2009, 02:55 PM,
DanTheMan Wrote:Thanks for the reply.
What about NRT at the front? Not a good idea? And what about shine through, as someone else on the board recently mentioned? Do all tapes have a degree of this, or are some less shiny than others?

Thanks.

Dan

I use BaseBond at the front as I wear a totally exposed hairline, either kinda spiked up and back or bushed back.
My current density is about 60% and the previous unit was 55%.
Tape shine through on the sides and back is not a problem at these densities and the style that I wear.
All tapes are shiny to some extent, some more than others.

Smile
Fred
01-31-2009, 06:14 PM,
Spikey is the style I'm looking at and that density might be close to what I'd be. Would you be able to provide some photos, please?
01-31-2009, 06:28 PM,
One more thing...how secure is tape for the frontal hairline? Do most of you wear glue at the front? Even when using the strongest tape, does it "hold" up for, say, 4-5 days?

Thanks.