Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I came out...
01-30-2009, 09:10 AM,
I came out...
Just had the most surreal (and oddly rewarding experience of my life). I'll keep this story short, I'm sure you can fill in the rest.

My neighbours whom I have never introduced myself to over the past 1 year and 3 months of living in my apartment were making noise with their music.

Being a people person I decided to knock on their door and have a chat to see if they could turn it down.

A woman with large gorgeous eyes opened the door with a bald head. "Never mind me" she said, "I'm normally wearing a wig... It's this damned brain tumour - come in!"

I went into the flat and explained my reason for being there (in a very calm and collected way, which is my nature) to the husband. The wife left the room as we had a chat.

"See... I look better with a wig on. I look normal now!" I heard her shout from her bedroom. "Come in!" I walked into the room and saw her brushing her hair on her head. "See, I'm not too bad now, am I?" The poor lady had been going through years of chemotherapy and steroid treatment to rid her of cancer.

I stood and stared for about 20 seconds, the husband standing behind me.

"I wear a wig" I said.

They both stared at me. I repeated myself. They literally couldn't believe it.

I exchanged stories of where I've been, where I'm out now and my life of wigs and glue. I even went upstairs and got one of my spare TL pieces.

This is the first time I've ever been this bold, it felt cathartic.

To end the story - I am now friends with my neighbours, she knows about Top Lace, and they know that their neighbour is a 20 something, wig wearing, moaning neighbour who hates Bon Jovi.

This happened about an hour or so ago... I just had to post this.

Jazzy
01-30-2009, 02:33 PM,
Re: I came out...
wow. It is almost surreal isn't it?

Sometimes carrying information like that is more of a 'wieght' than you realize. It can be the most liberating experience to share that burden with someone. Also it was nice of you to realize that you were able to support her by sharing your own story.

It can litterally be like a 'high' of sorts.

I speak from expereince on this one. I wear a wig too (though I am female) and when I chose to let someone know that I wear wig, the feeling I feel can only be described as "freedom"

Hey it is awesome too that they were so amazed! That means you have it going on Smile