Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tip to make bald spots on wig less noticable.
01-31-2009, 12:14 AM,
Tip to make bald spots on wig less noticable.
Hi,

Just thought I'd post it as I have done it myself with success.

If you have a bald spot on piece or piece is thinning noticably so that you can see the scalp from a distance, then heres a good solution, without you having to send it away to get hair added.

Cut a little square of lace or other darker material, then sew it at its four corners under the piece i.e your scalp side. Provided you have choosen a near enough colour you should find that it far less noticable now or maybe not atall, worked a treat for me works rather like concealers

paddy
01-31-2009, 05:34 AM,
Re: Tip to make bald spots on wig less noticable.
Hi Paddy,

I am sure this will benefit a lot of people. However, what are the things that we need to have in order to sew it? Regular needles and thread (light brown, white or beige, etc)?

Thank you.

Greenery
01-31-2009, 06:05 AM,
Hi again, just any ordinary thread and a needle whatever colour of thread you think will be the least noticable, no need to sew whatever small material you are adding all around, just at the corners,

paddy
01-31-2009, 07:38 AM,
This is a great idea.

I have actually been tossing around a few ideas of my own to cover thinning areas on a piece. It really doesn't take much to conceal a small area and stretch the life of the piece by an extra few weeks.
01-31-2009, 08:20 AM,
Thank you for your advice, Paddy.

Questions:

Am I supposed to remove all hair from the lace and sew it underside or with the hair through the unit so that there is hair around the bald spots instead of two layers of lace (in which case the grids will become visible)?

How do you get the hair to go through the lace (wash the hair from underside but this does not guarantee all hair will go through)?

Have you tried using poly or thin skin?

Sorry for asking so many questions but your comments (or anyone who knows) would be very much appreciated.

Greenery
01-31-2009, 08:53 AM,
Well if you do use the lace (you can cut all the hair off it) actually you can even use any material atall (the idea here is not to let your scalp show so if you sew a fairly dark piece underneath your piece that way your scalp wont show and the thinning area isn't visable. Mightn't work in some cases depending on the site of the bald spots but will work I'd say in a great deal of areas. We are talking about concealing small bald areas in piece in certain areas not all over the piece.

paddy
01-31-2009, 08:54 AM,
so are you saying u sew a patch of dark colored lace? to the underside of the unit. Most lace is whiteish etc. so im a little confused.
01-31-2009, 09:01 AM,
use any material atall, the idea being to not let your scalp show through in the thinning area, even a little piece from ladies tights that is near enough the same colour as the hair on the piece.

its not rocket science its a simple simple idea that has worked for me.

paddy
01-31-2009, 10:07 AM,
Thats a good idea.What if we could somehow glue on a new lace without sewing?A guy on tv sells some
product that mends cloth,shirts etc.Take it up one notch,what if BA sold lace fronts that we could glue on
for say $60.00 that match our hair perfect?What if he sold it when you buy a new piece for say a extra $50.00?
If we find a glue that will work,this could open up a new aspect to the hair game.
01-31-2009, 11:30 AM,
Using glue is a good idea but in most cases it will come off after a few washes (may need to re-glue compared to sewing). I tried putting a layer of lace underside (and look at it from the top) and it looks kind of strange that the entire "scalp" is darkened (very different from the skin tone). However, skin unit looks much better that way (need to stretch a bit so as to get rid of the "greasy effect" as just stretching ST-30 to remove the "shininess"). Anyway, will try it on an old unit someday.

Thank you guys.

Greenery