Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOB in PHILLY, where are you buddy?!?
02-15-2009, 12:00 PM,
BOB in PHILLY, where are you buddy?!?
Bob mate

Hope all is well with the family and wife. Would be nice to hear from ya if your somewhere out there.

Peace

Sam.
02-15-2009, 01:15 PM,
Re: BOB in PHILLY, where are you buddy?!?
I second that.
02-15-2009, 02:44 PM,
HK,

Completely off topic, your studying medicine aren't you?

I am starting my first few weeks of medicine as a post grad, and just wondering how much difficult math will be involved during the 4 years? Is it much more difficult than the GAMSAT or UMAT? I scored well on GAMSAT 85 overall, just wondering the level of maths needed to do well in medicine.

Cheers mate

Sam
02-16-2009, 06:26 AM,
Sester,

I am a studying pre-medical student, preparing to take my MCATs for next year - which means I am on track for medical school, but not yet a full-blown medical student. I do know that medical school admissions abroad are conducted differently than they are in the U.S.. The math prerequisites in the U.S. are rather lax. Few schools require anything beyond undergraduate calculus. Some are even willing to accept pre-calculus or statistics. Ivy league schools, such as Harvard, require both Calculus I and II. The MCAT itself has little to no mathematics. This is because an understanding of basic math concepts (particularly pre-calculus) is fundamental to success in chemistry and physics, so there's no need to test it separately. I would imagine that the math pre-reqs for med school in Australia are comparable to those for U.S. med schools. Far more emphasis is placed on the natural sciences as well as verbal reasoning.
02-17-2009, 05:10 AM,
bob use to post a hell of a lot on the old forum but i dont think ive seen a post of his on this new one Sad
02-17-2009, 05:58 AM,
HK thanks for your info and good luck with your MCATS.I think you'll do well,you seem fairly intelligent.

Jake, yeah i know... he's just disappeared..

Sam
02-17-2009, 08:00 AM,
Maybe the mods can talk him into joining the new forum again? Just a thought...
02-17-2009, 08:08 AM,
I spoke to Bob a couple of weeks ago. He was doing well. He is very busy these days, so I think that's why he hasn't been active on the forum lately. I think the timing of this new forum is purely coincidental for Bob. But while we're at it, where Hans and the other Jake? Not to mention numerous others from longer ago like Mr. Guiness, Denny Dimwit, Shifty, Eric, and Tanman.
02-18-2009, 01:48 AM,
Good idea Dino, it would be cool to see Bob on here again Smile