Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wearing hair - not for everyone...
02-24-2009, 11:53 AM,
Wearing hair - not for everyone...
Wearing isn't for everyone. It's been said on this board. I'm one of those people. Here is my experience - not a negative commentary in any way on TL or even wearing hair. Their product and service was as advertised.

Ultimately, I just wasn't feeling it mentally, since I first started a little over a week ago. I had bouts of paranoia in regards to my attachment, blend, and congruence with my natural hair and temples. I had tons of edges popping up all over the place making the piece feel really detectable to me. Somehow I managed to pick up and take home a girl on Friday night without her noticing :mrgreen: even though she kept feeling dangerously close to my obvious seams and bubbles.

I went and got a reattachment from my stylist on Saturday, but this really didn't improve things. The hairline was super shiny and the piece kept coming up in the rear, even later that day. I tried a couple of my own attachments, and same deal, though strangely I was able to do a better job on my second crack at it than a 20 year hairpiece professional with her own set of eyes and hands. I was really distraught, and made the realization that if I was this stressed about this, maybe wearing hair wasn't for me. Finally, I just sucked it up and shaved it all off. A bit disappointing because I was looking forward to wearing hair, but also quite freeing as well. I've shaved before, so not too drastic for me. Once again, my own perspective.

I just didn't feel right as a wearer. I didn't look like "me" in photos, my hair just didn't feel right, and it was becoming consuming. This isn't a commentary on the quality of the piece or Toplace - I think it was exactly as I requested in color, texture, and density. Their service was solid and for the right person this is a good place to go for this product.

Don't let this experience discourage you from trying it out. If it makes you happier, that's what you should do. Just recognize that it isn't necessarily for every person, and go into it well researched. Thanks to the forum for the help during this process, and as a parting gesture, here is bald me - I might grow it back to a buzz, go back to where I was with a short cut, or keep shaving. Who knows?

Attached Files Image(s)

02-24-2009, 01:31 PM,
Re: Wearing hair - not for everyone...
Probably all of us had those issues at first for sure.

You're good looking dude so more power to ya.

Nice post.
02-24-2009, 02:05 PM,
I think at one point or another we all wish we could just shave it all off. Imagine no more worrying and contact sports and swimming would be carefree. I might even wrestle again. I have lost hair where I was hard bonded and pretty much cannot shave my head. Lots of bald patches where the bond pulled my hair out. That is my only regret with going to the club for so long is how they bonded me.
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM,
You look just fine with a shaved head. I can bet you money you would have picked up that chick with the shaved head or with hair.

Its all about confidence. Once you feel comfortable in your own skin, you can do anything!
02-24-2009, 03:03 PM,
Many have to wear a hair unit due to sclap reduction monster scars.Have you ever seen a scar like that?
Some people also have very bad transplants and no more hair to correct this.I am one of those people
so I know what I am talking about.The world sometimes does not deal you a good hand.
02-24-2009, 10:51 PM,
Thanks for your honest post. I agree, wearing hair isn't for everyone and I hope you will have a happy life as a bald man.

But if you ever get tired of the bald look, you should know that it took me about 2 to 3 weeks of "hard times" before I eventually relaxed and got the hang of wearing my piece. During those times I had thought like "this is consuming me", or "I am being paranoid" or "is it worth all the hassle".

The truth it that after the initial first month of wearing, things get drastically better. You start to relax, you develop better techniques, you don't feel paranoid anymore, and eventually you actually *really* forget you are wearing, and only remember it after a week when the thing needs to be reattached Smile

Just my two cents.
02-25-2009, 12:13 AM,
Mate your hair looks awesome with a buzz cut, no idea why you were wearing in the first place!! Smile
02-25-2009, 12:38 AM,
You look great! you don,t need to wear hair yet. You can always try again if you choose but you can carry the shaved look. enough said.....
02-25-2009, 03:35 AM,
You know, I have to be honest, but it is a little frustrating reading your post. A lot of people, like Mean and myself, would do anything to be able to just shave our heads and be free. Unfortunately we cannot do that due to scarring and such. Also, some people just like terrible with a shaved head. You don't so consider yourself lucky.

Acceptance is one thing that has been forced upon me because the alternative isn't an option - I simply *have* to wear. I guess it makes it easier knowing I have no choice. My options are to wear hair or lock myself into a closet and waste my life away. The choice seems obvious. It's really a life or death matter.

Yes hair wearing isn't for everyone. Of course, it should also be said that you can't give wearing hair 2 weeks before you decide it's not for you. It takes work to get good at wearing. Once you get good and you know it looks and feels completely natural it does amazing things to your self confidence. When you look in the mirror and look like yourself again after so many years of worrying, being depressed and looking like crap, it's like the sun shining after years of darkess. It's a great feeling. At least there is an option that 99% of people wouldn't even know about and if they did they would probably only think things like "wow, it looks great, I can't believe that's a wig!" But then again, who cares what someone thinks anyway. You don't do it for them, you do it for yourself
02-25-2009, 06:18 AM,
Well, perhaps wearing hair is not for you. That could def be the case. But also, It could be the case that things didnt just go smoothly, or you havent gotten used to it yet. You just started out, so maybe there would have been a time where u settled into it, got used to it, and lost the anxieties and liked the look.

Look on the bright side. You could always try a hairsystem again someday if you really wanted to. And you always will know you could look good with a shaved head, so there should be no pressure for you.