Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 videos from Norway - comments?
07-13-2010, 07:31 AM,
2 videos from Norway - comments?
This is my first post at this interesting and informative forum :-)

I have been an Apollo Hair customer for 15 years now (startet in my early 20's). Throughout my "hair-career" I've only used conventional bases made with polycoated perimeters.

During these years I've spent a lot of money on hair and regular services at the saloon. I've never tried lace bases or skin bases but they do seem very tempting to try because of all the limitations the conventional bases have. I do have to plan the day and if it's raining or very windy I will always use a baseball cap. The problem is that Apollo have these other hair systems as well - but at an incredibly high price :-(

Here in Norway the marked for hair systems can not be compared to for example the U.S. I've always thought that Apollo was my only choice...but now I've come in contact with a small private company here in my town that offers hair systems at a much more affordable price than Apollo!

I'm not ready to start "DIY" - but I would really appreciate some comments and feedback on the two videos I have posted a link to at the bottom of this thread!

Here in Norway we have a reality tv-show called Robinson (the same as what is called Survivor in the states). In this show one of the participants was wearing a hair piece :-)
He has now become some kind of a celebrity here in Norway and is openly a hair-wearer - and proud of it too!

The company I've contacted is the same he uses and later this month I will be trying a skin piece from them (actually it's the same stylist that is on this video that will attach and style my piece...).

From what I've gathered of info from talking to them - these are stock systems that are "one size fits all" and the just cut away the excess skin and color your own hair if the system's color doesn't match properly.
They also offer custom pieces - but they will of course be more expensive. The guy in the video is supposed to be wearing a stock base.

So, that's it - what do you think guys and girls? I think it looks very good!

Videos:

Cut-in: http://www.vgtv.no/?id=26333&category=5

Same guy sporting wigs :-): http://www.seher.no/823706/robinson-tomm...t-parykken
(PS! The video is in the bottom of the article)
07-13-2010, 07:58 AM,
RE: 2 videos from Norway - comments?
Hi Apollo -- I haven`t looked at the videos yet but just on reading your post, I just feel that when you have been told ``one size fits all`` I would have my doubts about that. Every persons head shape is different and the only way to get a fit that is unique to you, is to make a template of your head and have a unit made from that.Also, if you have to have your own hair coloured to match the unit, it will soon revert to it`s natural colour from washing/ shampooing so you will have to re -colour your hair fairly often --- best to order a system from the factory which matches your own hair colour. Why not order a system off this site at a far cheaper price than any of those `salons` will charge you ? All you have to do is find a stylist in your area --- wearing hair is not new to you so you certainly wouldn`t be intimidated by doing your own attachments /clean -ups ? It`s not going to cost huge money and the quality is great --if you find it`s `` not for you`` well you can always stay with the salon. Best wishes, Paul.
07-13-2010, 08:12 AM,
(07-13-2010, 07:58 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi Apollo -- I haven`t looked at the videos yet but just on reading your post, I just feel that when you have been told ``one size fits all`` I would have my doubts about that......

Hi Paul!

I definetely think of myself as a "DIY" person because I have gotten a lot of experience during 15 years with Apollo... The only thing is that I have always appreciated to be able to walk in to the salon (which is just a five minute walk away) and just lean back in the chair and let my stylist take (good) care of me :-) Although it has cost me a lot and sometimes more than I could afford.

The good thing is with my current system, I can go to the stylist once every 4 weeks and not worry about the hair getting loose or need to detach it to clean it until my next visit to the salon! It sticks very good with the glue they use and I don't have a problem with bad smell or irritated scalp.

Anyway - this visit to the new company I've discovered is probably a step towards being a DIY person :-)
What you say about the one size fits all, was also the first question that popped in to my mind when I talk to them - as I am also used to making a template of the head. Their explanation was that the skin was so thin and elastic that it would fit most head shapes - and they told me I would have to have a pretty strangely shaped head for it NOT to fit...
Take a look at the cut-in video and see what you think - it is as is said supposed to be a stock piece....

The company encourages their customers to visit the salon every 3-4 weeks were you will get a brand new hair piece and your own hair will be recolored.
07-13-2010, 12:50 PM,
Apollo2009, interesting videos. Nothing wrong with stock pieces, why not give the new salon a try. Not a DIY experience, but the hair does look good. A new unit every month could get pricey. But if you get a good 4 week bond without adverse effects, well, there is nothing wrong with that. A different perspective on hair wear.

mcnash
07-13-2010, 07:43 PM,
Hello again Apollo, had a look at the first video -- it appears to me to be an all -polyurethane base ? I used to use those. Your entire scalp is painted with glue and the unit is then sat onto that and it stays in place for up to 4 weeks. This eventually caused hygiene / health issues for me as the scalp needs to`` breath `` and let out oils and perspiration --it cannot do so if it`s got a layer of glue painted on. Also, the body is constantly shedding minute particles of dead skin including the scalp --this gets trapped and at the very least, cause unpleasant odour, and at worse, cause skin irritation / possible infection [ one of the stylists in one salon I used to attend, let slip to me that a client had developed an infection and was not too happy as you can imagine ] One of the advantages of lace is that the bond is just around the perimeter, and you can leave it on for 1 day or a few days, and then remove and clean your head properly. When I wore all -poly bases, my scalp eventually became very red / inflamed in patches and I had to apply antiseptic ointment to it before the re -bond was done. It began to itch a lot too. I think I was lucky not to have developed a full infection. A month is too long to leave your scalp covered in glue. I agree with what Mcnash said about a new unit each month would be expensive eventually. Also the people in the salon have to be paid too for their time, so it`s the customer who pays, as you know. I know what you mean about just turning up at the salon, sitting back and being kind of ``pampered``-- it`s great to have the work done for you --that`s fine if you can afford it, but in this recession, many people are tight for cash but worried about their looks /hairloss. I used to pay HUGE money for salon service --with Toplace I get a great - quality hairpiece, at a fraction of the cost, and I can go out in public in confidence. If you`re happy with what the salon provides and you can afford it, stay with that option, for convenience, but just bear in mind that the full -bond with an all -poly unit can lead to the health issues I have outlined above---very best wishes--Paul.
07-13-2010, 10:25 PM,
(07-13-2010, 07:43 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hello again Apollo, had a look at the first video -- it appears to me to be an all -polyurethane base ? I used to use those. Your entire scalp is painted with glue and the unit is then sat onto that and it stays in place for up to 4 weeks....

Hi again Paul!

...and thanks for your comments and sharing of your persoanl experience :-)
Most of what you are saying is something I've also thought of and been wondering if it can be healthy. The stylist at this salon is reassuring that they have had very few bad experiences in regards of people having problems or health issues with their system. I of course know that his is the salesman and I am the customer in this situation and he will probably tell med what I want to hear :-)

The guy from the video is saying that his been using this system for years now and he obviously don't have any problems - so I guess it's also something that will vary from person to person...

Anyway, I'm going to give this a go and I'm quite excited to try it for the first time later this month!

About the cost - yes it's quite expensive but I've been doing my calculations and this skin system is actually not more expensive than my current Apollo system. At Apollo I get 2 hairpieces that I have to use for 1-2 years and alternate between every service. With this skin system I will get a new piece every 3-4 weeks at the same cost! And it seems much more realistic to me as well compared to the conventional system I'm using now.

So I'm just crossing my fingers that it will turn out to be a positive experience - if not, it's gonna be Toplace next :-D

A question: These lace systems that toplace sells - is it possible to attach them "permanently" as well - meaning up to a month of hold - or are they meant to be taken off every few days for a cleaning? This is an issue for me as I don't want to spend more time one self service than needed...
07-14-2010, 01:13 AM,
If I saw that guy on the street or anywere I would NEVER suspect that his har was not real. I dont care if they use chewing gum to apply, and the hair is made out of brillow pads.... The ONLY thing we are concerened about is how good it looks and it looks GREAT. I do believe you can get this type of hairpiece here....
07-14-2010, 01:55 AM,
(07-14-2010, 01:13 AM)hairagain Wrote: If I saw that guy on the street or anywere I would NEVER suspect that his har was not real. I dont care if they use chewing gum to apply, and the hair is made out of brillow pads.... The ONLY thing we are concerened about is how good it looks and it looks GREAT. I do believe you can get this type of hairpiece here....

I totally agree :-)
If that type is available here - then whats the cost for it and what is the estimated durability for a skin based piece? The reason for asking about durability is that this salon I'm referring to here in Norway says you need to change it after 4-6 weeks because the base is so thin and the hairs are not knotted into the base, so it will gradually start to loose quality and hair... If that is the same with Toplace skin based systems as well, then the price is almost the same per piece.....
07-14-2010, 02:10 AM,
Yeah I agree with you, Hairagain, it IS very well done and looks great, just that for me ,anyway, wearing for that long, between `services`eventually lead to skin issues -- I know, as Apollo said, each person is different both in their physiological make -up and personal circumstances, so , Apollo, if you can get a new system so frequently, at the same price as you have been paying for just 2 ,and expected to get up to 2 years wear out of, well then you`d definitely have to give it a go with this new company. You asked about the length of time the bond lasts for --- well again, it depends on what type of glue you use, and also I guess, on your lifestyle and if you live in a hot climate ---a very active person who does a lot of physical work will probably have to re -bond more frequently as the adhesive reacts to heat. and other factors --it`s hard to give a cast -iron answer ,as circumstances very from person to person. I found, that in summer, the adhesive started to `` weep`` after maybe 2 or 3 weeks, or if I had been to the gym more frequently, and could ooze down onto my own hair --then it was like `` emergency appointment`` at the salon to sort it out, but in winter, even after 4 weeks, it was still fairly tough to remove and where my own [thin ]hair had grown beneath the poly base, it could sure make your eyes water when it was peeled off !!
Let us know how you get on anyway ---best of luck with it and thanks for letting us know about it --very interesting to me and I`m sure. to others too. Paul.
07-14-2010, 05:18 AM,
I will be sure to let you know once I've been there ;-)

Thanx again!