Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transition worries..... a suggestion.
09-05-2010, 08:54 AM,
RE: Transition worries..... a suggestion.
Well I`m glad you find my tuppence-worth of some interest.I do tend to ramble on a bit but I`m kind of thinking aloud and I`d like to think that anyone reading and thinking of wearing, can formulate their own individual `plan`and get some ideas for styles......... I can only give my own particular experiences, but having worn for quite a few years now, and used four different `Salons` and a few different base -types, before reaching the promised land [Toplace !! ] I think I can shed a little light on the subject of wearing and what works for me, but i`m very conscious that lots of experienced wearers do things a bit differently to myself, and people just about to wear, will still have to actually get used to the process of attaching and detaching and it can be a source of anxiety. I just cannot see how any stylist could justify charging mega -bucks such as 100$ or 100£ for a cut-in, but then having said that, a friend of mine goes to a [ `normal`] hair salon and for a basic wash /trim and maybe a little colour, she pays 70euro [58£ or 90 $ ] so I guess it would make you think a bit. When I approached my stylist about obliging me, I said exactly your point, to her , which is that it`s real hair, just attached to an artificial scalp, so the cutting of it is no different to any other persons head. The only advantage I think that I had/have over a person in your position who has never worn before, is that my head is already shaved and I keep it that way myself [it`s very easy ] whereas if you go in for your first fitting/ cut -in, they have to do it for you if you have not done it yourself, and you may have to ask for their assistance in doing the bond,especially at the back where you can`t really see --again it`s not hard to do, but they will see that as ``work`` and can justify a higher charge than a normal haircut for a `normal` customer. For a new wearer, there is obviously anxiety and nervousness, but it shouldn`t be a reason for a stylist to shoot the price through the roof. The initial attachment can be made tricky by the very long hair `` in the way`` ---- which is why I advise you in your particular situation to go for a shorter length rather than the standard 6 inch --- it can be hard to position the base correctly with all the long hair in the way --it`s grand once the system has been cut -in ....... you`ll easily manage away at home, but any decent stylist should be able to help with positioning, marking the perimeter and then shaving the appropriate area, before applying glue or tapes. What might be helpful to anyone who has to go for the longer lengths, would be to gently make a cone of the hair and put one or two fairly large elastic/rubber bands around it loosely, so that it can be held up out of the way --should enable you to see the base more easily and help you position it properly so you can pencil around the perimeter--- just a little trick some may find helpful.
I reckon only about 10% of people with hair -loss can carry off the ``Totally shaved`` look but the rest of us mere mortals, don`t look good without hair, and we know it ---- why else are there so many Hair replacement companies operating all over the place, sadly many or most of them are in it primarily to make as much money as quickly as possible. It`s comforting to know that Toplace is not one of them and not out to take advantage of people who are feeling vulnerable and self -conscious.
Cheers for now, Paul.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Transition worries..... a suggestion. - Paul In Ireland - 09-05-2010, 08:54 AM