Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To poly or not to poly?
02-04-2009, 08:17 AM,
Re: To poly or not to poly?
Hi Goodluck,

To me, both poly and thin skin produce pretty natural hairline. The only issue with thin skin is that I will not be able to expose too much of front hairline as opposed to poly. I guess it's because the thin skin units I have were ventilated forward while poly units looked more like freestyle (have no problem showing full front hairline at all). Again, if you want to expose hairline with either poly or thin skin the density should not be lower than 65%. Additionally, you may want to trim the base in such a way that it looks uneven (not a straight line) and leaves no extra base (that's what I did. Unless you handle with care and do not tear the front or you risk the chance of discarding the entire unit. Always take good care of your front base and leave additional base on the back so that you can move your front base slightly further in case it frays at the front) which give a better and natural look.

Poly looks whiter whereas thin skin is lighter but both look just like your own scalp. Of course, it depends on your skin tone and how much you would like to show your scalp and front hairline. Poly is more durable and thin skin is real thin which needs to be fully released with either 91% or 99% alcohol (depends on what type of glues/tapes you use and your body chemistry - to what extent it breaks down the adhesives). For poly, I have no problem removing the tapes by lifting (sort of pulling gently) but not thin skin (has to be fully released).

Thin skin is more comfortable than poly but you can always remove and re-attach it (with/without glue) any time you wish to (it takes me less than 5 mins to remove and re-attach). You may want to stock up on either poly or thin skin for winter.

You can always get one unit of poly and a thin skin at different densities/ventilation (check with either BA or John) so that you know which one works better. From there, you can get a custom-made unit. Alternatively, for easy attachment and removal (very natural hairline and undetectable, not to the touch though) go for all french lace at the front and poly/thin skin perimeter on the sides and back.

Good luck to you, Goodluck Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
To poly or not to poly? - boftrix - 01-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Re: To poly or not to poly? - DebbieS. - 01-31-2009, 05:11 AM
Re: To poly or not to poly? - wiggy - 01-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Re: To poly or not to poly? - Greenery - 01-31-2009, 08:37 AM
Re: To poly or not to poly? - Tapehead - 01-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Re: To poly or not to poly? - Goodluck - 02-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Re: To poly or not to poly? - Greenery - 02-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Re: To poly or not to poly? - Goodluck - 02-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Re: To poly or not to poly? - Hairwearer - 02-08-2009, 03:38 AM
Re: To poly or not to poly? - Greenery - 02-09-2009, 05:59 AM