Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with Ultrahold
06-05-2009, 08:46 PM,
Problem with Ultrahold
Hi guys,

I seem to have some problems with the Ultrahold I recently ordered.
At first, it was amazing, good hold, easy to apply.
But now (3 weeks later), the glue is getting hard, like drying gum. It's really hard to get it out of the bottle, plus impossible to apply it correctly to the entire piece.
I've tried to put the bottle into a bucket of hot water for the glue to melt, but nothing helps.

Anyone has had that problem before?

Any ideas how to solve it?

Thanks!

A.
06-06-2009, 10:29 AM,
Re: Problem with Ultrahold
Yeah I had this on a small bottle of UH I bought. I solved it by throwin it away and buying another! Big Grin

Prob not the answer your were looking for but if you do find out how to overcome this post it up cheers
06-06-2009, 01:05 PM,
maybe if you closed the lid instead of leaving it open and exposed to air forever it wouldnt have turned hard im not sure. You're probably better off buying new glue
06-06-2009, 08:37 PM,
danger!!89 Wrote:maybe if you closed the lid instead of leaving it open and exposed to air forever it wouldnt have turned hard im not sure. You're probably better off buying new glue

ya i agree with danger you really have to make sure the top is on and tight i brought a bottle in jan and its still fine
06-06-2009, 11:27 PM,
Well thanks for your replies.
It's already the second time that I have this problem with Ultra Hold unfortunately.
I'm being very careful with it... Closing it well etc.
But thanks for your responses guys... I appreciate it...
06-08-2009, 08:43 AM,
ultrahold is mixed with the solvent tolunene which is very quick to evaporate...that's why it has a strong chemical odor. You have to replace the cover each time you dab the brush to prevent this. We all have learner the hard way. I've never been able to use all of a jar of ultrahold...oh, and don't knock it off the counter..EVER...NIGHTMARE! and don't try to thin it with alcohol...it turns yellow and is not usable
06-08-2009, 05:34 PM,
I've use a few bottles in the past. It's just so easy to forget to close the lid. I've gotten used to closing the lid. But, the last jar, I was maybe down to 2 more attachments worth, and I left the lid open for about 1/2 hour. All it takes it about 5-10 minutes being off, and it starts getting gummy. It's still somewhat usable unless you leave the lid off for 2 or 3 hours..
06-09-2009, 02:14 AM,
Ultrahold needs to be placed in the refridgerator sometimes, and this will solve the problem of it getting gummy. After storing it in the fridge for a while, it's like new Smile
06-09-2009, 02:38 AM,
lol really? and i told him to buy new glue :-( my bad.. still assuring to know i can do that when my glue turns hard aswell xD
06-10-2009, 11:37 AM,
I dont know what type of glue your using..ie cyanoacrylate (super glue) or what the base monomer is made of. I have yet to wear but I guess soon enough I'll find out. However, I do work for a glue manufacturing company. I can tell you if your using a cyanoacrylate (super gule) type glue you should always keep the unused amount away from moisture. That not only does moisture start the polimarization (curing) it can also hasten its shelf life ,prevent the viscosity (ability of movement) from being what you want and reduce its bonding ability. Best way to prevent this is always store in cool, dry, and dark place. I dont recoment putting it in the same refrigrator you eat from but, what eles are you going to do..hey good reason to buy a beer fridge lol Other chemistries work differently, however, air is not glues friend in 95% of standard glues air changes glue (its not just the air but things in it..but you guys get my drift I'm sure) and I have more learing of what types of gules you guys use.

Hope that helps a bit.