Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Methylated Spirits be used as skin prep??
02-20-2009, 10:24 PM,
Can Methylated Spirits be used as skin prep??
Hi all, just wondering if anyone tried using Methylated spirits for cleaning the lace and skin prep etc..
Its made up of 90% Ethanol and 10% Methanol and both are good solvents and are often used for by painters,mechanics etc to clean their skin..so I cant see why it can be used on the scalp for cleaning purposes..
02-21-2009, 05:42 AM,
Re: Can Methylated Spirits be used as skin prep??
I have tried it. It will work but not as well as 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. The methanol in methylated spirits is added in some countries to prevent people from drinking it Big Grin
02-21-2009, 09:55 AM,
I believe that some people mix odorless mineral spirits to clean their pieces. I remember hearing this a long time ago, not on this forum.
02-21-2009, 04:54 PM,
justerxr Wrote:Hi all, just wondering if anyone tried using Methylated spirits for cleaning the lace and skin prep etc..
Its made up of 90% Ethanol and 10% Methanol and both are good solvents and are often used for by painters,mechanics etc to clean their skin..so I cant see why it can be used on the scalp for cleaning purposes..

Just remember that methanol is pretty toxic and is absorbed through the skin.
I work around it at times as some of the cars (race) that I'm around run methanol.

Use 90% or 99% isopropyl and stay safer.

Smile
Fred
02-22-2009, 03:52 AM,
I am not sure about the product mentioned here, but I do not use a deodorant as a skin prep on my scalp. Just prior to applying tape or glue, I use Witch Hazel. It is an astringent which seems to clean up the soap oils and help with the bonding.

I use 99% to remove the unit and follow up with Desolve-it on my scalp and natural hair prior to a shampoo to remove the rest of the goo. When I re-attach, this gets me a 3 week + bond, but there is nothing scientific here. I might get the same results by slaughtering a chicken and swinging it over my head three times while chanting the lyrics to Dark Side of the Moon.

The witch hazel does seem to help. It's cheap and worth a try..and a lot less messy than the chicken-thing.
Zappa