Toplace USA
coloring your piece - blond fronts - Printable Version

+- Toplace USA (http://forum.toplace.com)
+-- Forum: TopLace Forum (http://forum.toplace.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General hair replacement discussion (http://forum.toplace.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: coloring your piece - blond fronts (/showthread.php?tid=5175)

coloring your piece - blond fronts - reubin - 05-08-2012

Folks I am wondering if anyone has used the Elmer's Glue method of painting the underside of the lace base so that the glue seeps through, dries and protects the knots and lace from getting stained when doing the dye job.

I guess you just rinse and rinse after that with lots of hot water to get rid of the Elmers?

What is your method of coloring your piece if you are in need of coloring right down to the knot?

If you are not coloring down to the knot or are just coloring to get rid of reds/oranges and don't care about the roots I already know how to color that way.

I am hoping for advice from folks who are coloring drastically like blond to 1B

Thanks in advance!

RE: coloring your piece - blond fronts - Hairenough - 05-08-2012

Some people use a mascara brush to get clossr to the knots. If you do happen to get the knots colored you can do a quick bleach of them to take the dye out. Hair color comes out with bleach easier than the carpet dyes the factories color the hair with in the beginning.

RE: coloring your piece - blond fronts - reubin - 05-09-2012

Thanks for your reply.

But if I am coloring the fronts from blonde to 1B and then bleaching the knots why not just order the piece the color I want and save a step by just bleaching the knots?

Although I T-pinned the unit to a styrofoam head and hung it upside down, the technique of getting the blonde hair dyed to 1B without touching the knots was not an easy task. In some areas I was too far away from the knots and it would appear as if I were someone who needed to touch up his grey roots, had I not opted for a longer style.

Just curious as I know a few folks here are ordering blond fronts and coloring. Just wondering how they are pulling it off. The Mascara brush would give more precision right up front so I will give that a whirl.

Again thanks for sharing your thoughts

RE: coloring your piece - blond fronts - Hersute - 05-09-2012

I've heard of people smother the foam head in a layer of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and then pinning the lace to the head.
The Vaseline seeps through the lace & acts as a barrier to the dye.

RE: coloring your piece - blond fronts - Hairenough - 05-09-2012

" But if I am coloring the fronts from blonde to 1B and then bleaching the knots why not just order the piece the color I want and save a step by just bleaching the knots?
"

If you read my post again you will see that I said to use a mascara brush to get close to the knotz and IF you happen to get some on the knots, it's easy to remove with bleach because hair dye is easier to bleach out than the carpet dye the factories use to colour them in the beginning.

I can't say it any clearer than that.

RE: coloring your piece - blond fronts - michaelg - 05-12-2012

Hi, I have done this many many times. The easiest way to make sure the knots do not get screwed up is put a layer of heavy duty styling gel on the upside down part of the base. It does not seep through to the hair and protects the knots. After the dye job is finished rinse off the gel with warm water. Piece of cake. I have done this with almost every blond piece I got to dye them dark brown or blond with brown highlites (reverse blond highlights I guess)
Good luck
Michael

RE: coloring your piece - blond fronts - thomasgrn - 10-08-2018

(05-12-2012, 01:45 AM)michaelg Wrote: Hi, I have done this many many times. The easiest way to make sure the knots do not get screwed up is put a layer of heavy duty styling gel on the upside down part of the base. It does not seep through to the hair and protects the knots. After the dye job is finished rinse off the gel with warm water. Piece of cake. I have done this with almost every blond piece I got to dye them dark brown or blond with brown highlites (reverse blond highlights I guess)
Good luck
Michael

I know this is an old post, but what gel did you use? do you let it harden or does it not matter?

RE: coloring your piece - blond fronts - thomasgrn - 02-20-2019

(05-12-2012, 01:45 AM)michaelg Wrote: Hi, I have done this many many times. The easiest way to make sure the knots do not get screwed up is put a layer of heavy duty styling gel on the upside down part of the base. It does not seep through to the hair and protects the knots. After the dye job is finished rinse off the gel with warm water. Piece of cake. I have done this with almost every blond piece I got to dye them dark brown or blond with brown highlites (reverse blond highlights I guess)
Good luck
Michael

this is a great trick I have learned on here. I no longer have to worry about the knots when dying my pieces. thank you